Jyotisha Sastra - Science and Art

What is Jyotisha Sastra? asked my co-passenger, while I was traveling in a train to Alwar on my spiritual journey. It is common for people to ask me different questions after they come to know about my profession. Even though people don't have rights to put questions to me, I would like to clarify their doubts if they have the will to understand. For the sake of my readers, I would like to publish this post for their benefit.

The term 'Jyotisha Sastra' is known as Indian Astrology in English words. But, in reality, there is no equal word for Jyotisha Sastra in English.

The word "Jyotisha" is derived from two words i.e. Jyoti + isha. 'Jyoti' means light (divine light) and 'isha'  means Ishwar / God. Hence, Jyotisha is Light of God. Sastra or Shastra means knowledge / principles / education. The person who studies and practices Jyotisha Sastra can be called as Jyotisha Sastri. In English words, Jyotisha Sastri is known as Astrologer.

Jyotisha Sastri / Astrologer shows light to a person standing in darkness without any visible direction. In other words, Jyotisha Sastri guides the person from darkness to light.

"There is no better boat than a horoscope to help a man cross over the sea of life" - Varahamihira (Great Astrologer who lived in the court of King Vikramaditya)

Jyotisha Sastra is a divine subject. Some people call it as a Science and some call it as an Art. I define it as a Divine Science and Art.  How is it 'both'? As a Science, it got principles of knowledge and as an Art, Jyotisha Sastri  uses the principles of knowledge while giving predictions.

Hence, Knowledge / Principles is Science and Prediction is an Art.

Back to Vedic Astrology


Labels: , , , ,